Subject: Re: Tosca vs Ernani. 2018 vs 1965
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 1 Jan 2018 13:04:09 -0700

Max,

I think you explained what I was thinking but better.  No Tosca doesn't
necessarily have to be a big gonzo voice even though the second act
requires a lot of pumping.  My first Tosca's were Renata Tebaldi and
Dorothy Kirsten.  Both very different.  One had overwhelming vocal size and
weight.  Kirsten did not but she had a way of singing roles that were
possibly out of her natural range because of the way she approached them.
I never felt she was undersized or in anyway unequal to the role.  She
never exceeded the limits of her instrument and always sang with firm tone
and a superb support.  From about 1965 on until she retired in 1975 and
even her one performance return in 1979, her Tosca remained a distinguished
achievement.  Gheorghiu is very similar.  It's a smaller voice then Kirsten
and she lacks the steely core that Kirsten could exhibit but she never
exceeds her natural limits.  She always support the tone on firm breath and
she never screams.

As for vocal types, the role has always attracted a mixed bag of lyrics,
spintos and full dramatics.  For every Kirsten or Gheorghiu, there was a
Jeritza, Caniglia, Milanov, Tebaldi, Nilsson, Rysanek, and so on.  For me,
the ideal was the young Tebaldi, a big luxurious instrument with the
ability to pare down and lighten the tone.  Before the top became a
problem, Crespin had the measure of Tosca also.  Her French language
excerpts recorded in 1961 with Paul Finel and Rene Bianco show this very
well.  A really fine example of a full, almost spintoish lyric singing
Tosca can be found in the early French language version with Ninon Vallin,
Enrico de Mazzei and Arthur Endreze.  I believe Carmen Melis was of a
similar weight, a lyrico spinto who could spin a gorgeous lyric line.  For
whatever reason, and they are pretty much the same as yours, Yoncheva did
not do it for me last night.

Donald