Subject: Re: James Levine situation at the Met
From: Paul Ricchi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 6 Jan 2018 18:57:46 -0500

I have sensed, since the boil burst, a rising sense of disappointment that
smoking guns and records of hush money being dispensed by the Met have not
yet been discovered; or that additional accusations have not come forward,
especially from new victims so young they were not yet in charge of their
own sex lives.

Investigators have been engaged, the delivery date on their report is
likely distant, and it will not be sent to opera-l, although some listers
will “hear” or be “told by a person in a position to know” and favor us
with all the details. The public may never see the report.

The Met’s statement that they knew nothing of all this was silly of course.
They should have said: “Like many others, we have heard rumors. But without
an allegation we had no basis for taking action.”

The court of public opinion (where the main venues are now social
networks) renders summary justice, often deserved.

But true justice relies on direct testimony and cross-examination,
confrontation of the accusers by the accused, and evaluation of facts. It
is just not as much fun for the audience. The supermarket tabloids may be a
source of consolation.

Sent from Astro <https://www.helloastro.com> for iOS