Subject: Copyrights and....
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 6 Jan 2018 22:13:30 +0000

Especially to those who think it's great to ignore the
laws concerning intellectual and other copyright laws.

And, yes, I admit once again that I own lots of what would
be deemed "illegal" recordings, but, I don't try to justify
it so that I can feel better.

The Met "Turandot" broadcast of 1961 with Nilsson, Corelli,
and Moffo, conducted by Stokowki, was sold by the Met Guild
as a premium inducement to bring in donations of (I think)
100 dollars or more sometime in the early eighties. It brought
in a very substantial amount of money, which might have been
much greater had that performance not been illegally marketed
by "pirates" for many years. That is just one example! In the
early eighties 100 bucks was a lot of money

It is not an open and shut case in either direction, but when we
do our "me wants" routines, myself included, we might remember
that there are organizations that do own this stuff, and that there
are times when they become "cash cows", at least for a while.
Just as you would want to protect your investments,they have a
right to protect theirs!

It is not all theoretical!

Bob