Subject: James Levine situation at the Met
From: Daniel Layne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 6 Jan 2018 15:39:03 -0500

It has been about five weeks since the story broke about the James Levine
scandal.
I have been wondering about what will happen next?
So far he has been "suspended" from all activities at the Met, his name has been
removed from the "Who we are" section of the Met's website, Sirius radio has
stopped airing Levine-led Met broadcasts, and Levine himself issued an oddly
worded denial of the accusations against him.
The Met hired the law firm of Proskauer Rose to conduct in independant
investigation into the allegations.
Levine's agents/managers at CAMI have been totally silent on the situation.
So, what happens next in this story?
I would think that the best thing for all involved would be for Levine to retire
from the Met altogether once and for all, and let the  Met move on.
But, given Levine's massive ego, I can't immagine him doing so. From his own
statement, it seems he thinks that this was all a big misunderstanding and that
he should be allowed to conduct there again.
Levine certainly has some major money board members on his side, or at least
did before the scandal broke.
It would seem that no matter what Gelb and the board do next, they will end up
looking foolish.
If they knew about the allegations for years, as many people believe, they will
look foolish for not doing anything sooner.
And if they bring back Levine to continue conducting there, they will look even
more foolish.
Also, what about Levine's contract there, assuming he has one?
It would seem that Gelb and the board will have to decide how to ultimately end
this situation in the next few weeks, given that the season announcement for
the 2018-12019 season is due in mid-February.
Any educated guesses anyone?

Daniel L.