Subject: Re: "Tristan" Recordings
From: Marc Shepherd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 6 Jan 2018 15:46:07 -0500

This is not accurate.

Yes, it remains totally legal to record a performance off the air for your
personal use.

*Criminal* infringement requires, among other things, copying for
commercial gain. So, *giving* a copy to someone else is not a criminal act.
It could *in theory* result in a civil infringement suit, but bear in mind:
1) The copyright holder needs to (somehow) find out about it; 2) The
infringement needs to be sufficiently harmful (to them) that it is worth
their while to sue.

Fair use remains a legitimate defense to infringement. Recording for
personal use is such a defense; and bear in mind, the recording industry
fought it vigorously before they eventually lost in the Supreme Court. It
is likely that many examples of “giving the recording away” would also be
considered “fair”; not all have been legally tested. If it were up to
copyright holders, no use (other than paying them for it) would be
considered “fair.”

While any infringement for commercial gain *technically* triggers the
possibility of prosecution, in practice the government only bothers to go
after those who do so on a large scale. They don’t ticket every jaywalker,
either.

--
Marc Shepherd
New York, NY