Subject: Re: "Tristan" Recordings
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 6 Jan 2018 15:04:29 -0500

Kiwi wrote:

"Please correct me if I am wrong but I thought off air recordings were fine
as long as they remain for personal use.  (I know this is a little bit
apples and oranges but...)  The line is crossed, however, when the off-air
recordings are sold because then it becomes more a contested issue of who
owns the product:  the phantom airwaves or the house."

Actually, the line is crossed when someone takes an off-air recording made for personal use
and makes a copy for someone else.  It makes no difference whether the transaction involved
payment.  That is why the copyright warnings at the beginning of DVDs, re duplication,
include the words, "whether or not for profit."

So, you can make a recording for your own personal use and listening.  But you cannot legally
duplicate that recording and give it to someone else without transgressing copyright law.

Not that this has stopped anyone from sharing or selling live opera recordings!

MDW