Subject: Re: "Tristan" Recordings
From: Kiwi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 6 Jan 2018 08:30:04 -0500

Again, apples and oranges but there was an interesting article in the
Washington Post a few weeks back (tried to find it and failed) about
royalties and the demand by musicians to extend the copyright period.  The
article referred primarily to creators but also to the owning establishment
and, in some cases, to the artists (depending on where the product was
played).  Bottom line was that the general consensus of the artists was that
the copyright should be extended to what amounts to a lifetime plus, with
the goal of providing income not only during the artist's life but also for
some of the life of the family.  Interesting read, and am sorry I can't find
it.

According to the Q&A section, there are lots of rules that govern who get
what.  The background musicians get nothing at all at any time because, as
you point out, they were paid at the time they were recorded.

But the composer and the owning company are suppose to get money every time
the piece is played regardless of where it is played.  The singer only gets
paid when the piece is played on the radio.

I'm doing this from memory so may have some facts mixed up but the gist is
that you are partially right, the session musicians get paid once and have
no further claims.  The artist has some claims under certain circumstances
but the real winners (it seems to me) in the copyright matter is the
composer and the owning company.

Maybe it is different in the opera world, even for recorded material?  Would
copyright laws differ between types of music?