Subject: Re: opera to start the year
From: Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 31 Dec 2017 14:13:39 -0500

That's a very nice tradition. I may as well start doing it myself.

I love Bellini's LA STRANIERA that Bob recommends (and also the other 3
operas on his list, though I heard DALIBOR only once long ago). Another
delightful Bellini rarity is BEATRICE DI TENDA. I treasure it on the live
recording from Joan Sutherland's New York debut in 1961 with the American
Opera Society (her Met LUCIA debut would come later that year).

More bel canto,-- Donizetti's PARISINA on another live recording, this time
with Caballe at Carnegie Hall. Mariella Devia is glorious live in Florence
(1990), but --and I rarely say this-- it's really painful to listen to the
tenor (poor guy).

Verdi's I DUE FOSCARI is another rarity that I very much like.

I recently watched Weber's OBERON (Munich live webcast) and was surprised
how much the music was beautiful. Not a masterpiece, but definitely
deserves to be better known. It would be well worth finding the Munich
video if it's in commercial circulation by now.

Vesna