Subject: Rigoletto from Orange, 2017
From: chsiegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 31 Dec 2017 13:09:24 -0500

If anyone ventures on to Medici TV, the other thing to watch (among many)
is the Rigoletto from Orange this past summer. Leo Nucci, at 75, is
amazing, and the entire cast is excellent (although Celso Albelo is a bit
barky). Nucci and Nadine Sierra are terrific together. The production is
updated but well-done and tasteful (love the jester's stick in the
background). The "Si vendetta" is encored! It's quite a show. There's
nothing like opera.

This piece (and of course Hugo's play) continues to be one of the most
insightful portrayals of a certain type of person and their milieu--there's
nothing new in the harassment, intimidation, and manipulation by people
like Harvey Weinstein, James Levine, Bill Cosby and their sycophants, who
make the victims blame themselves and remain silent for years. Gilda
is only one of many sacrificed to this all-too-well-populated bestiary that
even stretches even into our highest levels of government.

Gee, and I just wanted to write about Rigoletto. . . .. Waiter, I'll have
another "Si vendetta," please. . . . .

Claudia