Subject: Re: Today's Merry Widow
From: A Katalin Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 30 Dec 2017 19:25:25 -0700

Actually, since Lehar was Hungarian, we put the accent on the last syllable, the O, DanilO!

On 12/30/17, 5:52 PM, "Discussion of opera and related issues on behalf of Vesna Danilovic" <[log in to unmask] on behalf of [log in to unmask]> wrote:

    On Sat, Dec 30, 2017 at 6:48 PM, Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

    > BTW - for the record, is it really DONNY-low? Shouldn't it be Da-NEE-lo?

    Jon, you got it right. I was also surprised they accented the first,
    instead of the second, syllable in his first name but then correctly
    accented the second syllable in his surname (like mine).

    I am of two minds about operetta on opera stages like the Met. While I am
    with Les about it, having a sense of misfit, there are occasions like the
    New Year festivities when things can get lighter. It would be nice to have
    Offenbach's LA BELLE HELENE for a change, also wonderfully fitting the
    occasion.

    Best, Vesna