Subject: Re: Today's Merry Widow
From: Rich Lowenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 31 Dec 2017 01:09:02 +0000

Personally, I have no objection to operetta on stage (other than that
the Met is too big for it, but the same is true of Cosi Fan Tutte and
many other operas)--but I am heartily sick of both Merry Widow and
Fledermaus and would far prefer something different, such as Eine Nacht
in Venedig, La belle Helene, Orphee aux enfers or La Perichole (which
the Met hasn't done in close to 50 years, and even then so altered that
I doubt Offenbach would have recognized it).

Happy New Year to all,