Subject: Re: Test
From: Alain Letort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 30 Dec 2017 18:51:18 -0500

Dear Listers,

I totally agree with Jon Goldberg.  I think that 2 posts a day is very
limiting and inhibiting indeed.  Could we not go up to *three* posts a day
as a test and see how that works out ?  I donít think that would be a great
inconvenience.

Bob Rideout raised the subject of Karen Mercedes.  As far as I know, that
lady is still alive and kicking, because I have seen her on Facebook, and on
Opera-L on Facebook, many times under a different identity (or indeed
identities, she sometimes changes her ID), but she appears to have mellowed
somewhat compared to 20 years ago.  She isnít making death threats on fellow
posters any more.  I met her once at a Washington, D.C. restaurant many
years ago, before my career took me out of the country, during a
get-together of DC-area Opera-Líers, and in person she was quite pleasanter
than her on-line persona indicated.

Cheers and a very happy New Year to all in case I donít post tomorrow or Monday.

Alain

Alain Letort
Washington, D.C.
Des Ungeheuers HŲhle

=========================
On Fri, 29 Dec 2017 21:38:02 -0500, Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Agreed with all that would like to see the limit increased to at least 3,
if not more.

>I personally would also love to petition for a 21th century format for this
archive site
>(which is the only way I access this listserv) - I think it's time for
something more in line
>with systems that other internet forum boards use. But I know that may be
asking a lot,
>so I'll be happy with just the message increase. ;-)
>
>To reply to Ms. Hochschild earlier in the thread (who was in favor of the
2-post limit
>because she says it makes for better quality posts) - point taken, yet I
think many of us
>feel just the opposite - that the 2-message rule inhibits responses because
we're often
>hesitant to use them up too soon. I know that I would participate in more
conversations
>here if I wasn't always worried about using up my 2 posts.
>
>I think it's worth trying. ;-)
>
>And happy new year, all...
>

>On Fri, 29 Dec 2017 13:51:04 -0600, Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>>Well, Bob:
>>
>>    You're initial "test" posting stimulated some much needed action.
Thanks so much.
>It's nice to know that we're all still out here.  I emphatically agree with
those who would
>like to see the quota of posts daily increase from two to three.
>>
>>If the moderator would be willing to do a "pilot program" and allow us
three posts a day
>for a month, and then analyze the effects of it, perhaps he would come to
some sort of
>conclusion.  Remember everyone:  in order for constancy to remain, there
must be some
>change, or at least some tweaking here and there.  I think the time has
come.  There are
>a lot of people here with a lot of good stuff to offer.  With a diminishing
population, three
>posts a day would be a very nice way to at least TRY to effect a change and
possibly an
>improvement.   We sure as hell can TRY!

                      Les

http://listserv.bccls.org/archives/opera-l.html<hr