Subject: Re: Today's Merry Widow
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 30 Dec 2017 18:48:03 -0500

Jeremy Sams is not a translator. He just thinks he is. ;-)  His work for the Met in that
regard is uniformly pathetic (Fledermaus and Enchanted Island as well) , and I don't
know what Gelb sees in him.

I'm already disposed to dislike "Merry Widow" - I just never really got the knack for it.
And I'm not trying to be purposely antagonistic here - just honest - that damn waltz tune
is one of the most banal melodies I know. And I don't care if you think I'm nuts for saying
so.

That said, I listened to maybe about half of Act I today. The singing seemed fine.
Listening to that hokey dialogue is like doing prison time lol. Why does Njegus sound
either gay or asexual, talking so unconvincingly about the Maxim's girls?

I'd love to see the Met try something in the operetta vein that isn't Fledermaus (which I
love) or Merry Widow. There are so many others out there. How about a Gondoliers or
Yeomen? Or one of the Offenbach pieces? Romberg? Friml? Herbert? It just seems to me
that if they want to do operetta (and they should, occasionally) that there are so many
better choices they could make.

BTW - for the record, is it really DONNY-low? Shouldn't it be Da-NEE-lo?