Subject: Re: Today's Merry Widow
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 30 Dec 2017 17:29:30 -0600

That 1962 EMI Merry Widow (Schwarzkopf, Gedda, et al.), while somewhat cut, still holds it's place as the definitive recording of the piece.  I find Schwarzkopf incomparable in the role, and Gedda's Camille is like honey in the ear. Truth to tell, it's the only "Widow" recording I own, and I compare all other performances I hear with it.  Wechter's Danilo may sound a bit like a ruffian, but I find this to be of small consequence when one experiences the totality of the performance.  This is only MY opinion.  Others may prefer another.  One thing for sure:  I didn't care for today's performance very much at all.
Also, does this operetta really belong on the stage of the Metropolitan Opera???????????