Subject: Re: Test
From: David Kubiak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 30 Dec 2017 15:21:49 -0500

I have been posting on the List for over ten years, and it does seem to me
its fate is linked to that of opera and classical music in general -- the
province of a few superannuated pedants.  Personally I originally found the
site to be a wonderful place to say all the things I thought when I was 16
and had nobody to talk to.  Where are the equivalent 16 year old's today?  I
sense a small and getting smaller group of us who heard Tebaldi, Corelli,
Siepi, Nilsson, Sutherland, etc., etc., and could talk about them endlessly,
and others who are just irritated at all the nattering on, especially when
it involves saying, e.g., that Netrebko is a sad substitute vocally and
otherwise for the divas of our youth.  Allowing more than two posts is fine,
but I suspect it would only give us natterers more opportunity to talk to
each other.  Maybe I exaggerate, but these days it seems to me that all the
signs point to a dire future for European classical music.  (At the college
where I teach we can graduate majors in Electronic Music who have only a
vague idea who Beethoven is.)

And as a P.S., where has Charlie H. been?  I hope he's all right.

David Kubiak

Modify your settings: