Subject: You have received a YouTube video!
From: Paul Ricchi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 30 Dec 2017 11:40:04 -0500

I have watched Semele, Butterfly, Pelleas and Tosca on this website. Free, high def, excellent audio, great camera work.

These are all European and UK productions of the sort that many dismiss as “eurotrash” - without experiencing them in any form.

Tosca was that, a conceptual fraud that an excellent cast could not rescue.

The others were innovative, engaging and exemplary in every respect.

Some will say of Joha, the Albanian soprano who sang Butterfly, why do we not have her at the Met? She is excellent dramatically, vocally and very musically sensitive - but the size of the voice cannot be judged in a recording. It is possibly under-sized for the Met.

(Case in point: Annick Massis was spectacular in a performance I heard in a small house - she lit up the stage, a peculiar combination of Callas and Galli-Curci. But when she sang Lucia at the Met (I missed it) she apparently did not impress.)

As for unlimited posting, it is worth a try, it can always be scaled back if it doesn’t work.

I think that this being a Met-centric list, and there not being much of interest going on at the Met could account for the low activity. It spiked when the Levine boil burst, the opportunity for an hysterical assessment of a 50 year career was too much for many to resist.

I wonder what the average age of the list is. I am 71. Apathy could be
Sent from my iPhone
Modify your settings: