Subject: Watching opera on the internet
From: Neil Mason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 30 Dec 2017 06:25:29 +1000

Hi everyone

Living in Australia as I do, I only have the chance to watch two live
operas a year without travelling a long way.

So the Live in HD series from the Met has been a game-changer for us,
even if we get those films months late.  And there is another series
with performances from Covent Garden, sometimes Glyndebourne, Paris
Opera, etc.

But more recently I have been selective about going to those because
there is so much of reasonable quality available on the net, concerts as
well as operas of course.

Best of these for me is OperaVision, because of the English subtitles on
most performances, but there's also arte, medici and culturebox.

I would love this list to be less "Met-centric" and start to discuss
some of these other performances, available to us all in a timely fashion.

So I will start the ball rolling by simply saying that I am enjoying the
semi-staged Ring cycle performed by Opera North on OperaVision.  I
hadn't seen any Opera North performances before, and I am very
impresssed not only by the singing and acting, but especially by the
conducting.

What do you think?

And are there other sites I should know about not mentioned above?

Happy New Year, everyone, and enjoyable opera watching (and listening).

Neil Mason