Subject: Re: Subject: Re: An Opera-L Christmas: Tchaikovsky, Rimsky, Puts, Leroux
From: Frank Cadenhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 26 Dec 2017 17:46:08 -0500

Then there are the reverberations. There is an important festival in the St. Denis
Cathedral in Paris. I have been to performances and sounds often spend time
rattling around in that high, stunning ceiling and then, remembering there is an
audience, return to ground level while the work itself has already moved on. I now
listen on the festival performances on Radio France who has the ability to
broadcast the sound when it is actually made and ignore late arrivals. Reverb is
usually a problem in Catholic countries like France where even village churches
reach for the sky. I prefer concerts in the less stratospheric Protestant churches in
Frank Cadenhead

On Tue, 26 Dec 2017 12:26:14 -0500, Wadeworks <[log in to unmask]>
>There are two groups of categories presenting issues for
>performances in cathedral spaces.  One is the sound presented
>to the audience, the other is coordination of the performers due
>to the sound patterns due to all the reflection points.  It is very
>difficult to perform in a group when no one can hear even the
>person next to you, let alone 20 feet away.  All you can do is
>count and hope what you are doing is on pitch and watch the
>conductor like a hawk.  With coordination of multiple groups in
>separate spaces within that hall, the issues just multiply.  My
>hats are off to any perfirmance of a complex piece that actually
>works in that environment!

Modify your settings: