Subject: Re: Victoria de los Angeles (was Spanish opera- Marina)
From: Sergio da Silva <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 26 Dec 2017 08:50:54 -0500

Well Villa Lobos was Brazilian and his music is definitely derived from Brazilian folk music, so Yerma, although sung in Spanish, is more of a Brazilian opera not Spanish.
As for the lack of performances, the title role is extremely difficult and Villa Lobos was not regarded as an opera composer but I agree that should change