Subject: Re: One by one...
From: Kiwi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 22 Dec 2017 07:57:05 -0500

Not opera related (but it could be, if someone wanted to score the sordid
story) but I just read a story about OJ Simpson, a man found guilty (in
civic court) for two brutal deaths and a man sent to prison for threatening
another with a gun and stealing for that man.

That's just the back story.

What I found remarkable is that since his release, OJ has become a celebrity
and people can't wait to have their photos taken with him, to be seen with
him, to speak with him--this is a convicted killer, a man who served time,
and there are people out there who actually continue to worship him.

How does this ever happen?  What is wrong with people?

Now, to bring this back to opera, I understand there is a petition to bring
Levine back to the Met.   Yes, I get that he didn't kill anyone and one
could argue that the messing up of a young person's mind isn't a great crime
(I wouldn't, but I guess some would, in fact some on this list have argued
it is no big deal) but Levine has had an extended time on the podium during
which the Met paid out money and hid his predilections to allow him to
continue his baton waving.  At what point does someone become accountable
for crimes?    Apparently, at the Met, when they are old and have a
declining ability--and the press finally gets hold of the story.

I've read a number of articles justifying the separation of man from talent.
Maybe.  There is also the sort of hero worship that clouds the
sensibilities, just as with OJ Simpson.  Again, the two crimes are not the
same but they are still crimes.  One went to prison.  One is being
championed to return to the podium.  Is the sound of music Levine did not
create but just performs so very important that the world will end if he
never conducts again?