Subject: Re: Worst staging nominations
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 22 Dec 2017 17:13:48 +0000

Zeffirelli's staging of "Falstaff" at the Met in 1964, coupled with
Bernstein's musical direction and as "perfect" a cast as is
possible in this very imperfect World, was, and remains the
greatest live operatic experience of my life. I went to every
performance the first season and missed only one the following
year.

If such perfection represents opera's fossilized past and is prelude
to its death, then "give me that old time religion" and let me die
a happy man. "Fossils", btw, is my favorite movement from Saint
Saen's "Carnival of the Animals". ;-)

Bob