Subject: Re: Twelve Operatic Masterpieces You May Not Know
From: John Feather <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 24 Dec 2017 16:15:24 -0500

I might recommend some great operas in languages not regularly seen in the west:

1  STRAZNY DWOR (The Haunted Manor --Moniuszko)  -- there are alot of great Polish
operas -  Szymanowski's KROL ROGER (KING ROGER) is working its way into the repertory.
This charming comic opera is very popular in Poland;  a charming, funny story and many
great arias (esp for bass) and duets.  Alas, there was a production on OperaVision last year
(no longer there) and while there are a few complete or shortened versions on YouTube
they are not of great value.   There are a few excellent KING ROGER's.

2.  MASKARADE (Carl Nielsen)  -- This Danish comic opera is another charmer.  Youtube
has a production from 1986 - ;  Amazon
sells a DVD of an "updated" 2006 production --

3.  LEYLI E MAJNUN (Hac&#305;b&#601;yli) -- Western influenced but incorporating native musical
elelments, this tragic Azerbaijani opera is a treat.  Many productions on YouTube including

4.  TARAS BULBA (Lysenko) -- the national Ukrainian opera is choppy story telling (much
like Prince Igor) but has some truly great music. Many highlights for all voice types;
however Ostap's aria from Act 5 for baritone is IMHO one of the great arias ever (alas in
Ukrainian).  Several videos on YouTube including

5.  ANIARA (Blomdahl) -- this Swedish sci fi opera from 1959 was first opera to incorporate
electronic music.  I personally find it a moving, fascinating work and recently discovered a
production on YouTube --

Looking at more common languages, my favorite "Underperformed" works (at least in the

-- TOTE STADT (Korngold) --find the James King film tho several others on YouTube.

-- LAKME (Delibes)

-- MARTHA (Flotow)

-- IRIS (Mascagni)

Your audience may not know Berlioz's LES TROYENS (the fellow in front of me at the Met
HD a few years ago made it clear he did not know the work, his wife and friends didnt
come because they didnt know it and he was dragging them to the Wednesday replay
because it was so beautiful)  IMHO TROYENS is one of the great masterpieces of music, not
just opera.

Modify your settings: