Subject: Re: Subject: Re: An Opera-L Christmas: Tchaikovsky, Rimsky, Puts, Leroux
From: Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 24 Dec 2017 12:03:57 -0500

On Sun, Dec 24, 2017 at 9:18 AM, donald kane <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> My other question, the one that seems to interest no one but myself, is
> doomed, as expected, no matter how carefully OPERA_RELATED it may
> be, to remain unanswered.

Maybe the answer, or most of it, can be found in the book FIFTH AVENUE
FAMOUS: THE EXTRAORDINARY STORY OF MUSIC AT ST. PATRICK'S CATHEDRAL by
Salvatore Basile. A quick Google book preview leads to the chapter about
John Grady's tenure and 1970 as his first year when he made several major
changes in his musical direction at the Cathedral. One of them was to have
a Met opera soloist perform "O Holy Night" at the Midnight Mass that
apparently started by coincidence when the "rising" star Domingo did it
that same year despite his busy schedule. The author writes that it was so
popular that it became the annual tradition. He mentions the earlier days
of Pietro Yon's tenure there, his association with the Met Opera, and his
friendship with Martinelli, including his famous performances of Yon's own
"Gesu bambino" but apparently "O Holy Night" on the Christmas Eve wasn't
the tradition until 1970. I might have missed something as I only briefly
looked at the few pages mentioning it, but it sounds that this book could
be a good starting point in finding the answer to your query.

Tara Erraught, a mezzo from Ireland, is scheduled to sing it this year.

Besides many wonderful recordings of Christmas songs already mentioned, I
also like Claudia Muzio's Italian rendition of Reger's "Maria Wiegenlied."

Best, Vesna