Subject: Re: An Opera-L Christmas
From: Idia Legray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 24 Dec 2017 10:21:42 -0500

First I want to get out of the way my apology to DL Conn who, I have been
apprised, is indeed a female.  I guess I never considered a woman actually
being a proponent of Bieito.  My bad.

Let us not forget "Vanessa" which took place during the Christmas holidays
and ended with a New Year's party.

My favorite Christmas song?  There are 4.
1. Jussi Bjoerling singing  "O Holy Night".  It brings a lump to my throat
every single time.
2. "The Christmas Song" ("Chestnuts roasting on an open fire...") as
written and sung by the number one icon in the jazz world, Mel Torme.
It seems to evoke the happy, children-romping, tree-lights-twinkling,
lightness-of-being part of the holiday.
3. "Silent Night" which is the solemn and reverent part of the holiday and
fills me with awe.
4. Gounod's "Ave Maria" as sung by Mario Lanza in "The Great Caruso"

Modify your settings: