Subject: Re: Worst staging nominations
From: Roger Brunyate <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 22 Dec 2017 11:50:37 -0500

*…perfect staging versus the worst staging as in, say, Zeffirelli opposed
to euro trash.*

You really mean it that way around?

I agree that there is a lot of stuff out there under the general heading of
Eurotrash that should never have even entered the rehearsal room. As it
happens, I have just been looking at the opening of Bieto's *Ballo*, with
the courtiers all sitting on toilets with their pants around their ankles.
But his *Carmen* was quite superb, and infinitely more interesting than the
tired Zeffirelli productions.

I admit to being thrilled by Franco Z. in his earlier days; I saw his
*Lucia* for Sutherland, *Elisir * at Glyndebourne, and two Shakespeare
plays he did in London: *Romeo and Juliet* and *Much Ado About Nothing*.
But what were once fresh and interesting productions, benefiting from his
incredible sense of period and eye for detail, have become fossilized
museum pieces. Other than to wonder that this style (and expense) of
staging was ever possible, I would far rather see almost any inventive
production today, Euro or not, than a single one of the Zeffirellis at the
Met.

There is no such thing as "perfect staging." The very concept would be the
death of opera.

As ever, Roger.