Subject: Re: An Opera-L Christmas
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 23 Dec 2017 22:28:54 -0500

Donald Kane wrote:

"Except for LA BOHEME, and that title by Massenet about a juggler, there is no opera I know
of, at least not in the standard repertory, that is remotely related to Christmas."

Christmas plays an important part in "Werther."  The opera opens with children practicing a
Christmas carol, and Werther dies on Christmas Eve as those same children sing the same
carol off-stage.

And, of course, "Amahl and the Night Visitors" is completely Christmas-related.  There are
several operas based on Dickens' "A Christmas Carol," including one by Thea Musgrave.

BTW, the Massenet opera you referenced is "Le Jongleur de Notre Dame."  I don't think it
has anything to do with Christmas.

MDW