Subject: Re: Spanish opera- Marina
From: Myriam Hernandez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 23 Dec 2017 21:05:11 -0500

Recently, I found on YouTube a video of a complete performance of Marina,
starring Spanish coloratura, Mariola Cantarero, and tenor Celso Albelo, who
were excellent coping with the vocal demands of their respective roles.
Marina's music is very similar to Donizetti's and Verdi's music. The
soprano's cadenzas throughout the opera reminds me of Lucia's cadenzas in
the Mad Scene, and the brief quartet in Act 1 of Marina has shades of
Rigoletto's quartet. It could be said that the recording of Marina in the
sixties, starring Pilar Alvarez and Alfredo Kraus, could be considered as
the standard for vocal excellence, but Jaime Aragall also made an excellent
reading of the tenor's role, and more recently Cantarero and Albelo, as
aforementioned. In my opinion, there is no question that Marina is a gem of
the Spanish operatic repertory.

Myriam