Subject: An Opera-L Christmas
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 23 Dec 2017 19:42:50 -0500

This is my tenth Christmas season as an Opera-list associate, and it
appears to be the first during which no one has posted anything related to
the vast amount of music associated with this holiday.  Many were caught up
in a thread last October that explored the topic of Halloween Operas,
regardless of the fact that there's no such thing,  Except for LA BOHEME,
and that title by Massenet about a juggler, there is no opera I know of, at
least not in the standard repertory, that is remotely related to Christmas.

There is however, a distinctly opera related topic involving seasonal music
which I have introduced several times since joining this forum, and has to
with The Metropolitan Opera and St..Patrick's Cathedral in New York.  It
goes something like this:

Does anyone know when the tradition of engaging a Met star to sing in the
choir loft during Communion at Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve began;
who were the notable singers who have done so every year since; did they
always offer "O Holy Night" or was it sometimes something else?  I have
been advised that the answers to these few simple questions could be
supplied only by someone who happened to be a Catholic, New York, Opera
Fan, and that such a combination may be rarer than I think.

In recent years, I recall hearing Judith Blegen, Michael Fabiano , and
others, on camera in the loft, among members of the cathedral choir,
but the last two soloists, a mezzo, then a tenor, were  apparently pretaped
in a studio; they didn't have to show up on Christmas Eve at all; for shame!

Happy Christmas everybody.

Modify your settings: