Subject: Spanish opera- Marina
From: Juan Dzazopulos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 23 Dec 2017 17:38:01 -0300

I wonder why nobody has mentioned what I consider if not the best at
least the better known Spanish opera of all times. I refer to "Marina"
by Emilio Arrieta.
"Marina" had its premiere as a zarzuela in 1855 but was later changed
into an opera and as such had its premiere at the Teatro Real de
Madrid in 1871. It was the first opera ever presented there in Spanish
language. The leading tenor role was sung by the Italian tenor Enrico
Tamberlik (1820-1889).
"Marina" has been recorded in selections or complete 11 times and it
can be also found in at least 5 DVDs. It is a difficult opera and has
been a challenge for most Spanish tenors (in brackets the recording
year): José Palet (1916), Miguel Fleta (1926), Hipólito Lázaro (1930),
Fernando Bañó Ferrnado (1954), Alfrdo Kraus (twice, 1965 and 1998),
Bernabé Martí (1966) and Jaime Aragall (1967).

My favorite recording is that of 1930 for Spanish Columbia, with an
"all stars" cast: Hipólito Lázaro (Jorge), Mercedes Capsir (Marina),
Marcos Redondo (Roque) and José Mardones (Pascual).
It has been transferred to LP,  and later to  CD, at least by three
different companies (Aria Recordings; Blue Moon and Symposium. I
recommend without reservations the last one, if you can find it.

If you want to know what other Spanish works (zarzuelas/operas) are my
favorite, after "Marina", this is the list: Luisa Fernanda, Doña
Francisquita, Los Gavilanes, La Dolores, La Verbena de la Paloma, La
Rosa del Azafrán, La Leyenda del Beso, La Dolorosa (not to be confused
with La Dolores), La Canción del Olvido, Maruxa, Las Golondrinas and
those composed by Pablo Sorozábal: La Tabernera del Puerto, La del
Manojo de Rosas, Black el Payaso,La Isla de las Perlas and  Don
Manolito.

A happy and peaceful Christmas for you all,

JUAN