Subject: Re: Worst staging nominations
From: DK Conn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 23 Dec 2017 15:04:46 -0500

Ms. Legray, your certitude in damning something you have never experienced
yourself is remarkable, rather like the certitude of those who loudly
proclaim their belief in "alternative facts".

I will quote a post I made shortly after last year's livestream of Bieito's
production of La Juive from Munich:

"I really wonder how many of the those so ready to jump on the
anti-Bieito wagon and pigeonhole him as a "Eurotrash" (how I hate
that term) director have actually seen a production by him?  If I had
let myself be influenced by the naysayers I would have missed some of
the best productions (and examples of directorial skill) I have ever
seen.  I would choose to see a new production by Bieito any time over
some of the directors that keep being invited back to the Met!  I
wish I could have seen his Lear for the Paris Opera, which has had
nothing but rave reviews--for those who moan about "what the composer
intended", the composer was present and apparently quite pleased."

Speaking only of those Bieito productions that I have personally seen (seven
to date, six of those in house including his recent Les troyens), I cannot
consider any of those to be anything less than at least good.  Some have
been genuinely excellent.  This is not to say that I have liked every aspect
of what I have seen in his productions, and not infrequently I have found
myself puzzling over some directorial choice or other.  But I find Bieito to
be a thoughtful, intelligent, and musically literate director, with
particular skill in Personenregie.  There is a reason that he is invited
back over and over to create new productions.

DK