Subject: Re: Spanish opera
From: "ls111553 ." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 23 Dec 2017 17:16:02 +0000

Although I'm not big a zarzuela enthusiast, I do enjoy many wonderful
tunes, like the prelude to Bretón's La Dolores, which to me has always been
"the mother of all jotas". But there is a handful of works that I love but
which seldom "export" well, as they rely on a more than passing familiarity
with their regional context and performers to whom this comes naturally in
order to "speak" to their audiences. The same can be said of Viennese
operettas and such. We may enjoy what we hear, but some key elements of
style and background not always go beyond passport check. It is a joy to
experience El rey que rabió, Gigantes y cabezudos, the very tongue-in-cheek
Las Leandras (is there a "catchier" tune than Los nardos?) in Madrid, with
a cast that "gets" it right. That said, whenever a "Domingoish" tenor
breaks into "No puede ser" as an encore, I head straight to the parking
lot, muttering exactly those words with a couple of "regional"
embellishments added.

Ah, the WNO upper-crusty set! Recently, at Kennedy Center, I was introduced
to someone who turned out to be a very agreeable person, but whose first
line of conversation (right after "pleased to meet you") was "I grew up in
Ecuador, but my father did not allow us to learn any Spanish. Only French
and German". I suppose he didn't mean anything unpleasant, but the opening
statement was kind of a shaker. Anyway, a quick look at the names listed as
main donors on the WNO program, may have given the lady you mention an idea
of how many "maids" make it possible for her to listen to opera in
"civilized" languages... while reading surtitles!