Subject: Worst staging nominations
From: Isaac Alan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 23 Dec 2017 06:26:11 +0000

I must say that any staging of any opera, or indeed any play, that deliberately skews the setting as described by the composer/writer, is a candidate for worst staging nomination in the sense of worst choice of visual interpretation.

I also apply this opinion to modern settings of Shakespeare's plays.  It is true that there may be no specific time frame applied to a number of Shakespeare's plays, but for certain ( perhaps with the exception of Midsummer nights dream) he never intended them to be set in the centuries beyond the 17th. The human elements of every one of his realistic stories, are universal and timeless, there is little reason to set them in the modern age whilst continuing to use the dated language and verse of his era, and yet it would be unthinkable, not to mention devastating to the majesty of his work, to translate the text to modern English usage.

Anyone who is unable to comprehend and/or relate to the operas and plays as written, should be content with reruns of Loony Tunes, and the occasional episode of Days Of Our Lives.

Regards, Isaac