Subject: Re: Twelve Operatic Masterpieces You May Not Know
From: Scott Grunow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 21 Dec 2017 19:54:29 -0500

I was going to add Massenet's Herodiade, but I do wonder if the opera as an entirety is a masterpiece (last act I find particularly weak after Jean's big aria).

Perhaps Lalo, Le Roi d'Ys.

Yes, the delightful Martha has gone by the wayside; maybe it's because certain directors can't really deconstruct it? Vocally, we've got plenty of singers who can sing it.

Mezzomaniac