Subject: Re: 2nd cast Norma
From: Stephen Charitan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 16 Dec 2017 16:17:28 -0500

Sorry Idia, I just can't agree.  Meade sounds like a voice in extremis -
sad for such a young artist.  The massive vibrato turns everything into one
large trill and high notes are lunged at then quickly dropped - aside from
a sweet spot in the middle the voice seems thin and attenuated.  I can't
imagine she's going to be able to get through this role much longer.
Hopefully she will sing "Semiramide" a la Colbran (lower keys) rather than
a la Sutherland.  Audience response seems very tepid - if I paid top dollar
for this I would be thinking - Oh well - Win some / lose some...