Subject: Re: Twelve Operatic Masterpieces You May Not Know
From: Roger Brunyate <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 21 Dec 2017 16:37:49 -0500

Dear All,

Thanks to everybody who replied so promptly here, as well as those who
wrote to me directly. There are some marvelous suggestions among them.

I guess I did not emphasize enough, though, that the requirement of a
magnificent (or at least stimulating) DVD production is essential. I know
that many Opera-Listers swear by audio, often the older the better, but for
this particular audience that will not cut the mustard. Nor will a
performance that merely exists in a DVD version, if that production is not
worth the journey for its own sake, above and beyond the music or the
singers.

In particular, I have had recommendations to look at Donizetti, other more
minor Rossini, lesser-known Verdi, and so on, and I asked for help with
Handel myself. I'd love to cast these nets wider. But to do so, I need
references to actual DVD productions that meet the above criteria.

Yes, I know that, for many people, opera IS 19th-century opera, and that is
precisely my greatest lacuna here. This has come about for two main
reasons: that so many of the best 19th-century works are too well known
(even by relative neophytes), and that they tend to be represented by
pretty ordinary DVD productions—Volpe Met as opposed to Gelb Met, for
example. Many of you, I know, prefer the earlier era, but I know the needs
of my present group.

I will reply to those with specific proposals directly. Some that
especially catch my attention are A LIFE FOR THE TSAR and MEFISTOFELE. I am
also grateful to those who have suggested other performances that I did not
know of works or composers that I had already included.

Of course, the whole thing is really quite personal and arbitrary. The
title might be better expressed as SOME VIDEOS THAT I HAVE COME TO LOVE OF
OPERAS THAT YOU DON'T SEE EVERY DAY! So really what I am asking, I guess,
is: *suggest other videos that I might come to love!*

As ever, Roger.

p.s. Although by profession a stage director, I am also a pianist and
trained as a conductor. I have worked most of my life in conservatories,
and believe that the whole process starts with a superb voice and excellent
coaching. I am by no means the musical philistine that I might sound!