Subject: Re: Medea/Medee (was Re: Twelve Operatic Masterpieces You May Not Know)
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 21 Dec 2017 20:07:46 +0000

I also much prefer the version that Callas made so famous, but there are
great  things in the original French. I own an EMI set of extended scenes
from 10 French operas, including some very impressive singing by Rita
Gorr as Medee, recorded in 1962. One could do worse than the original!

While I'm at it I might as well list all the operas represented -
Alceste
Guillaume Tell
Damnation de Faust
Romeo et Juliette
Lakme
My beloved Mignon, such a terrific work and definitely a candidate for
inclusion in the Twelve you may not know.
Herodiade
Thais (Ugh!)
Iphiginie en Tauride

If you can find it, it's well worth owning.

Bob