Subject: Medea/Medee (was Re: Twelve Operatic Masterpieces You May Not Know)
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 21 Dec 2017 14:41:33 -0500

Bob Rideout wrote:

" 'Medea' is a superb vehicle for the few who can cope with both her musical and dramatic
demands."

But remember that the Cherubini/Lachner "Medea" in Italian, the one of which Maria Callas
made such a meal, is quite a different opera from Cherubini's original French "Medee."  Some
of Callas' greatest moments in "Medea" were in the Lachner recitatives and thus had nothing
to do with Cherubini.  For example, in "Medee" Medee's entrance in Act I is all spoken
dialogue up until Creon's rebuke ("Qui tremar devi tu" in the Italian).  And the opening of the
3rd act ("Numi venite a me!"), in which Callas was so stunning in "Medea," is all spoken
dialogue in the French original; Medea only starts to sing at "De trouble affreur" ("Del fiero
duol" (in the Italian version).

I love the Cherubini/Lachner "Medea" too, BTW - I much prefer it to the French original - but
we need to be clear about which opera we are referring to.

MDW