Subject: Re: Twelve Operatic Masterpieces You May Not Know
From: Alain Letort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 21 Dec 2017 00:09:54 -0500

Dear Roger and Listers:

If you are looking for lesser-known, funny operas, how about Verdi’s second opera, “Un
Giorno di Regno” (1840) ?

There is a Philips version with Jessye Norman, Fiorenza Cossotto, José Carreras, and Ingvar
Wixell, but at $72 it’s quite pricey.  A cheaper version is the one with Renato Capecchi and
Sesto Bruscantini, Orchestra Lirica e Coro di Milano della RAI (Cetra).

-- or Pergolesi’s “La Serva Padrona” (1733) ?

Orchestra del Teatro alla Scala di Milano, Carlo Maria Giulini, cond. -- Profil/Naxos

-- or Prokofiev’s “L’Amour des Trois Oranges” [The Love for Three Oranges] (1921)?

Opéra de Lyon, Kent Nagano cond., Gabriel Bacquier& Jules Bastin -- Virgin Classics

-- or “Eine Nacht in Venedig” [A Night in Venice] (1883) by Johann Strauss II ?

Chor des Bayerischen Rundfunks & Symphonie-Orchester Graunke, with Rita Streich, Nicolai
Gedda, Anneliese Rotheenberger, Hermann Prey (EMI Classics)

-- or “Die Lustigen Weiber von Windsor” [The Merry Wives of Windsor] (1849) by Otto
Nicolai ?

Symphonie-Orchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks, Rafael Kubelik, cond. with Karl
Ridderbusch, Helen Donath, Trudeliese Schmidt (Decca)

All of them are lovely, charming, funny, and some would even fill in your gap.  Hope this
helps.

Cheers and all the best,

Alain

Alain Letort