Subject: Re: Spanish Opera
From: Idia Legray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 20 Dec 2017 17:10:41 -0500

Perhaps I did not make my question concise enough.
I did say in my first sentence that there are many fine Spanish works and
composers (certainly beautiful zarzuelas, and for sure "La Vida Brave") but
I am simply curious as to why there is no really famous Spanish opera to
equal works like (examples:) Puccini/Verdi in the Italian vein,
Wagner/Strauss in the German vein, Gounod/Poulenc in the French vein
and even top Russian operas, but nothing really regularly performed in
large venues in the Spanish vein.