Subject: Re: 2nd cast Norma
From: Ulrik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 20 Dec 2017 17:06:27 -0500

On Sat, 16 Dec 2017 16:17:28 -0500, Stephen Charitan
<[log in to unmask]> wrote: "Hopefully she will sing "Semiramide"
a la Colbran (lower keys) rather than a la Sutherland."

To my knowledge, La Colbran and La Sutherland sang Semiramide in the
same keys (I know that Ms Sutherland lowered the cabaletta of the big aria
for one of the Met Galas to take an unwritten high note at the end - but I
don't think she normally did that). The difference is that Ms Sutherland (or
Mr Bonynge?) sang a lot of high variations that I am sure La Colbran did
not sing - she probably sang it more like Ms DiDonato. I believe (but I am
not sure) that unlike her Maria Stuarda and her Adalgisa (where some
judicious lowering of keys are utilised, Ms DiDonato sings Semiramide
without any transpositions.

I would imagine that Ms Meade will sing Semiramide in the original keys
but with ornaments higher than what La Colbran would have done but
probably less "extravagant" than what Mr Bonynge devised for Ms
Sutherland. We will see.

Kind regards

Modify your settings: