Subject: Spanish Opera
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 20 Dec 2017 21:01:57 +0000

Hi Idia

There aren't many. The most famous may be "Goyescas" by
Granados, whose fame mainly rests on the fact that it had
its World Premiere at the Met in 1916, instead of its intended
debut at Paris, which was cancelled because of the ravages
of WWI.

There are many wonderful Zarzuelas, however, which were
wildly popular in the Spanish speaking world, and are still
often performed. Victoria de los Angeles has a magnificent CD
of Zarzuela music, and a number of other Spaniards have
recorded generous scenes, including Caballe. I guess they
would be considered the equivalent of operetta. I love those
that I have heard, and when a singer with the incredible
rhythmic instincts of a de los Angeles turns her attention to
them, it is magic!

Bob