Subject: Re: Spanish opera
From: Rcfgodoy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 20 Dec 2017 15:55:36 -0500

Is the question about composers from Spain, or operas with librettos in Spanish?  Spanish can mean either.

For example, Daniel Catán was Mexican, but 'Florencia en el Amazonas' is in Spanish (and being done in Miami by Florida Grand Opera in Apr/May 2018, BTW).  As the language of most countries in Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Mexico - it's only natural that most composers from that region would compose in their native tongue.  The only opera I recall from a South American composer is by a Brazilian (Gomes' Il Guarany), and the work, like most of his better known work, is not in Portuguese but in Italian.

Although Manuel de Falla's 'La vida breve' is cataloged as a lyric drama for the stage (opera?); most of de Falla's other stage works are zarzuelas, which would more closely resemble an operetta or musical theatre than opera.  This tends to be the case with most works by Spanish composers, that I know of.  In Miami the FGO have tried, unsuccessfully, to stage opera in Spanish (mostly zarzuelas); and while pretty music here and there, not worth the effort for my taste.  I've been told that smaller companies stage zarzuelas that do sell well, mostly because they're cheaper.

It seems to me that works by Albéniz, Granados, Sor, etc - tend to be known more in Spain proper than in the former colonies.

Raúl