Subject: Jonas Kaufmann coming to Santa Monica at gilt edged prices
From: James Camner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 19 Dec 2017 22:33:51 -0800

Well the good news is Jonas Kaufmann is making a rare live appearance in
the US in Santa Monica next month.

The bad news is the price - $175 for the cheap seats and $250 and $350 for
the better seats.

This is to hear him sing Die Schone Mullerin. (will he show?)

https://www.thebroadstage.org/showinfo.php?id=181

Question, is this the highest price ever charged for a performance of Die
Schone Mullerin?

We haven't been to the Broad Stage yet, and I don't know if we will ever
go, it's very pricey it seems - they have two other concerts in the "opera"
series - Garanca (will she show?) and Gheorghiu (will she show?) and
Grigolo. The cheap seats for those are $100.

Who is paying these prices?  It's a mystery to me, but I am just learning
about who and what is all around me here.

I don't think the very high prices is necessarily an LA or West Coast thing
- Just a few nights ago, we heard a monumental performance of the Bruckner
7th by the LA Philharmonic (led by Michael Tilson Thomas) at Disney Hall,
and it was $60 for excellent tickets.

A few years ago, we saw Die Schone Mullerin for $25 in Philadelphia with
Polenzani and saw Kaufmann do it in Princeton a short time later for $40.

I'm bemused that each of the Broad "opera" concerts features singers who
have previously cancelled performances that I had tickets to see and in
each case, more than once.

James Camner