Subject: Re: [Norton AntiSpam]Re: Guth's "Lost in Space" "La Boheme" for Paris
From: gordon young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 19 Dec 2017 13:38:28 -0600

Using the argument  “Regardless, audiences are cheering it ….” and “many
more have lauded Guth's work, audiences are loving it very few seats are
left for the remaining six performances,” seems to me to be a weak
argument. If popularity defines success Thomas Kinkade and Velvet Elvis
would be greater than Picasso or Pollock (I could have suggested others but
… Koons?)

I do agree with Mr. Padillo that, “art is evolutionary by its very nature,
it stands still for no one, even if we try to nail it down.  The only way
it can stay the same is by our refusing to breathe new life into it, thus
killing it.” This is why I am so passionate about new operas but I’m not
sure this argument has the same justification for the re-imagining of past
works. (Maybe tomorrow I’ll change my mind.)

Some updatings are successful while others are not just as some traditional
productions work while others don’t.  In my original post on the subject I
pointed out what I saw as weaknesses in Guth’s concept and suggested ways
that his ideas could be made clearer.

I don’t reject Guth’s concept but I do find fault with some of his
directorial decisions.