Subject: More cuts
From: David Kubiak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 19 Dec 2017 13:57:01 -0500

Having posted on the Met and its practice in cutting "Possente amor" (which
no one seems to have an idea about), today I can report a cut I didn't know
was ever contemplated, much less allowed, and by no less a conductor than
Fritz Reiner.  On a Sirius 1953 broadcast of 'Meistersinger' the second
verse of the 'Preislied' was removed.

I wish some musicologist would publish a book devoted to the subject of cuts
in opera.  I have always been oddly obsessed with this question, which to me
at least is surrounded in complete historical mystery, and I would
appreciate a comprehensive treatment of it.

David Kubiak