Subject: Re: Last Surviving Puccini Dies
From: Alain Letort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 18 Dec 2017 17:27:40 -0500

David and List,

According to the website to which Frank Cadenhead sent us a link (which works for me),
Simonetta Puccini, 89, was “l'unica e l'ultima nipote del grande compositore” (“the last and
only grandchild of the great composer”).  Maestro Puccini had only one child, a son named
Antonio, who in turn had only one child, a daughter named Simonetta, and this is the
person just passed away, the last living link to the composer.

In my earlier post I wrote that I met Simonetta Puccini some years ago at the Opéra de
Nice.  Upon further reflection, however, I realized that it was not in faraway Nice that I met
Signora Puccini, but right here in Washington, D.C.  The Washington Opera, as it was then
called, staged “La Rondine” as part of its regular opera season, and Signora Puccini was
invited to take part in a pre-opera lecture and panel discussion at the Kennedy Center.  That
is where I met her.

The event at the lovely, Italianate Opéra de Nice took place quite a few years later.  It was
in 2010, which was the 150th anniversary of France annexation of the county of Nice
(1860).  The Opéra de Nice staged a gala invitation-only celebration commemorating the
event and featuring mostly excerpts from Verdi operas.  After the Mayor of Nice, the Consul
General of Italy was invited to give a speech.  So give a speech he did (in excellent French),
which went on . . . and on . . . and on . . . and seemed like it would never end.  Gradually
the Mayor of Nice, who was sitting behind L’Eccelentissimo Signor Console Generale on the
stage, began to show signs of impatience (rolling his eyes, fidgeting in his seat, twiddling
his thumbs, etc.) but still the CG went on and on, enchanted, it seems, by the sound of his
own voice.  Eventually the audience started tittering and coughing, but the CG wouldn’t take
a hint that it was time to wrap up so that we could hear the musical portion of the program.
Finally some brave souls in the audience started clapping, then more people joined in, until
gradually the entire Opera House was clapping.  The red-faced CG then realized he had
overstayed his welcome, and said that he would stop there so we could all listen to the
musical program, at which point the audience erupted in cheers and clapped thunderously.

Cheers and all the best,

Alain Letort
Washington, D.C.
Des Ungeheuers Höhle

On Mon, 18 Dec 2017 16:45:47 -0500, David Kubiak <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I get 'pagine non disponibile' when I click on the link.  How was this lady
>related to Puccini?
>David Kubiak

Modify your settings: