Subject: Re: [Norton AntiSpam]Re: Guth's "Lost in Space" "La Boheme" for Paris
From: Kenneth Bleeth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 18 Dec 2017 13:46:08 -0500

Surely the point about "great art" is that it responds to a range of
interpretations that change over time. We don't read Shakespeare (or
Tolstoy, or Dickens, or Austen) as they were read in the 19th or early 20th
centuries. Contemporary performances of (say) "Messiah" differ from those
in Victorian England. As for "want[ing] to see La Bohème the way Puccini
imagined it would be performed," should performances of Shakespeare be
restricted to productions on Globe-like stages, in Elizabethan dress and
with no props and scenery to speak of? Should artworks be treated as
untouchable time-bound artifacts, to be preserved in amber? I'm with Ezra
Pound: "make it new."