Subject: Re: Guth's "Lost in Space" "La Boheme" for Paris
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Mon, 18 Dec 2017 13:44:49 -0500

Ken Wilson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I've been, alright, and I've even liked a lot of what I've seen. But for
> intelligent audiences, great art doesn't need to be made relevant and
> "approachable," and sometimes regie productions are really dumbed down
> productions.

Yesterday I saw the video of the National Theatre production of Sondheim's
FOLLIES.  Prior to the performance there was a compilation interview with
Sondheim fleshed out with interview clips from various times in his career.

At one point he made a striking statement.  It went something like this

"That's the great thing about theater. Each time you perform the work it's
different.  The director, the choreographer, the set and costume designers
always see things differently.  Of course each performer brings something else
to the work, so that you're able to see things that you are constantly
rediscovering the work."

Also from the world of Broadway I'll add my experience when someone from the
cast of "Chicago" came in to work.  I asked him about how the leads (at the
time, Bebe Newirth and Ann Reinking) approached their roles, doing performing
eight times a week for eight months.  He said that Bebe Newirth was the kind of
performer who, once she finds the role, sticks with it consistently.  Ann
Reinking, on the other hand, was the kind of performer where she never does
anything twice the same way, and that each night was something different.

Interesting ideas to ponder.

blog:   Twitter: @kos2
  Listowner: OPERA-L ; SMT-ANNOUNCE ; EXLIBRIS-L ; SoundForge-users

Modify your settings: