Subject: Opera can be interesting for younger viewers
From: Matt Carver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 18 Dec 2017 10:54:52 -0500

Let's face it, opera is dying.  The fan base is getting older and older as ticket prices go higher and higher.  Sure, young people may go see a La Boheme here or there, but rarely do they become frequent attenders.

As I watched the newest Star Wars movie on the screen, I was struck by how operatic it was.

Current composers should create new operas based on stories that the younger generations are familiar with--Star Wars, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Avatar, Game of Thrones etc.  Sure it may sound ridiculous to us, but unless we do something, opera houses will be empty within a generation.

Kings, queens, and courtesans don't entice millennials, but robots might.