Subject: Re: Guth's "Lost in Space" "La Boheme" for Paris
From: "G. Paul Padillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 18 Dec 2017 09:59:37 -0500

Mr. Kane wrote:

"I don't have much sympathy for, or empathy with, those who have seen an opera "more
times than they can count", and are thereby in need of an innovative staging. If opera houses
require them to survive, I don't regard it as much of a "success".  I would much rather be part
of an audience for whom Puccini's works are still as fresh and exciting as they were the first
time they saw/heard them."

* * * * *

Well, if you don’t consider an opera house enjoying a sold out run of performances as
qualifying as a “success,” how fortunate it is you aren’t running one.

I do have sympathy . . . for those who seem only able to enjoy a performance if it’s the same
experience as their very first time, for opera like all art, evolves, changes . . . refusing to stand
still, and while this may not be seen by some as being for the better, the fact remains here it
still is, 420 glorious years after the curtain rang down on Peri’s “Dafne.”

Modify your settings: